-
July 18th, 2009, 04:25 AM
#1
Hostboard Member
604b RECONE
Hi,
I am being offered a pair of Altec 604B drivers(approx.$150 for the pair,no crossovers).
However the speakers have been reconed with some generic cone with the accordian type surround of the later 604 models.The surround has been glued to the frame and the original clamping ring is missing.
If I buy these speakers and get them rebuilt at GPA with the newer cones of the 604G will I need the clamping ring?Will the performance of the speaker be compromised because the ring is missing?
Is it worth picking up the drivers or should I just let them go?
Regards
Rajiv
-
July 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Re: 604b RECONE
The performance will not be compromised. And for that price they're a steal Go get them.
-
July 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: 604b RECONE
I don?t know if you need the clamp ring or not but I would take those speakers in a heartbeat. 604b frames work well with 604E cones. If you need rings I would fabricate my own before I sent them to Bill. A 1-1/2? wide ring of 1/4? aluminum or brass could be drilled for face mounting the speakers. Polish up the rings and you would end up with a nice looking set of drivers that could easily be mounted flush with the front face of the cabinet. Not so collectable but they would blow the doors off of any current production coax for much less money invested.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks